Sunday, August 17, 2008

Grand Canyon

We went to the Grand Canyon this weekend. Very cool.


The elevation at the south rim of the Canyon is about 7000 feet, comparable to Park City and an increase in elevation from Phoenix of nearly 6000 feet. It was really nice to get out of the hot desert lowlands and up into the higher and cooler climate.

The highlight of the trip was watching a storm roll in across the canyon. It was quite spectacular.

It was also cool to see how many people from across the world were there. We met people from Brazil, Japan, and London.

Here are some photos:

This is about 2 hours outside of Phoenix, heading north towards the Canyon














This pic, with the people out on that ledge, gives some perspective to the immensity of the canyon. And actually, the bottom of the canyon, where the Colorado River is running, isn't viewable in this picture. Click on the picture for a better, enlarged view.

Great view from the El Tovar hotel on the rim. Click on it for an enlarged view.

5 comments:

Lezli said...

Greg and Sue - what a fun weekend! These pictures are spectacular. . . . when we maximized them on our screen we felt like we were about to fall into the canyon. . . .scarey!!!

Angie said...

That is awesome. What a fun trip to get out and breath some really fresh air. Now I am jealous of your trip. I think Aaron and I need a vacation already. Well Greggy at least you and Aaron get to remind each other of your good 'ol' memories when you see him. Lucky dog.

Jeff and Chelsy said...

Isn't it such an amazing view! I've always wanted to hike down it.

JohnK said...

Greg & Sue,
That view is spectacular! I'm glad you are seeing all the sites. Lezli and I will have to visit there soon.

Kelli said...

ok guys I'm jealous. I have lived here in AZ now for 8 years and I still haven't been to the Grand Canyon! It is so beautiful! Next time lets do the family thing. I am glad you had fun.