Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mrs. Gunn

I have decided to add one more thing to my schedule. On Mondays I am teaching a 4th grade class for 45 minutes for Junior Achievement. I didn't know what I was signing up for . . .


Yesterday was my first day, and I didn't know what to expect. When the teacher introduced me to the class as Mrs. Gunn, the kids either giggled, gasped and one student was even brave
enough to speak up and tell me "what an awful name you have!". From that moment I knew I had my hands full.

I had to answer the same question about 30 times, try and speak over them to regain their attention. I had students wanting to blow their nose, go to the nurses office for an itch, and constant pencil sharpening. A student even fell over in her chair breaking the scissor holder and scissor flew all over. Of course all the kids had to jump up and run over and swarm her. I left after 45min's with a headache and a complex about my name.

Overall, it was a fun new experience and I am looking forward to my next visit. I have a new found respect for teachers, they deserve a bigger paycheck!

4 comments:

Lezli said...

Hmmm. . . .doesn't sound fun! I hope you've had your H1N1 vaccine:) About the name. . . .I inherited it as well so I don't know what to tell you!

The Tomlinsons said...

Hi Susan! It was fun to catch up on what you're doing. I thought you were still in AZ. How nice to be back in Utah! Your post cracked me up! Good luck with the 4th graders--they sound like a handful!

JohnK said...

What on earth is Junior Achievement? A name is what you make of it, and I'm sure the kids will come to love Mrs. Gunn

Jeff and Chelsy said...

i'm laughing to my self remembering all the hell you put your teachers through...lol